Types of jobs¶
Grid Engine supports several types of jobs. Different types of jobs can be submitted on the computing platform. Each job type is adapted to a different use case and requires a suitable syntax.
- Interactive jobs:
- jobs that run in an interactive session; to use for development and test scripts. Be careful, these jobs are not adapted to the submission of long or intensive calculations. Interactive jobs can be single-core or multi-core.
- Single-core jobs:
- jobs executing operations sequentially, using a CPU core.
- Multi-core jobs:
- jobs that perform parallel operations on a compute server by simultaneously using multiple cores with shared memory (multi-thread).
- Parallel jobs:
- jobs that perform operations in parallel, possibly on different compute servers, using an MPI type interface.
- GPU jobs:
- jobs that run on compute servers with GPUs. GPU jobs can be multi-core, parallel, and interactive.
- Daemon jobs:
- single-core jobs that use very few resources but can run with no time limit.
- Array jobs:
- the same code is executed with different arguments. These tasks can be performed in parallel, but are completely independent of each other. Single-core, multi-core, and parallel jobs can be submitted in table jobs.